Skip to main content

Book Review: The Outlandish Companion


 

 

Okay, I never meant for this to be a book review- I was just making my observations while reading the book, and I couldn't stop writing.

While I was reading The Outlandish Companion, a 400-page exposè/essay/guide/glossary/summary (the list is endless) of/to how Gabaldon wrote the Best-selling 7-book series Outlander-I had gotten to the two hundred and fiftieth page on the first day, I asked myself, "Why am I reading this? Why am I enjoying this? it's not even an actual novel." I already knew the answer. Because The Outlandish Companion was written for Outlander readers like myself who have asked themselves this question a million times- How did she do it?

Now if you are familiar with the texts, you'll know the wealth of actual history and real life facts that are woven into the fictitious plot. They include The Jacobite Rising(and Charles Stuart of course), Slavery in the West Indies and in North America, The Clans or Noble families of Scotland, among others, all set in the 18th century. The main character is a doctor, so we get to learn a lot about practising medicine in the 18-19th century. There are several historians in the book, so we come across family trees and genealogies often. We meet philosophers, musicians, pirates, priests, Lords, Ladies, Scotsmen, Frenchmen, Englishmen, Hispanic, Americans, even red Indians and one Chinese person. Imagine my surprise when I came across the Yoruba word "Oniseegun" mentioned by one of the plantation slaves. Its like travelling the world while sitting on one spot.  do not want to imagine the amount of research Gabaldon did, to write the series, each book ranging from 700 to 800 pages (sorry but how cool is that?! I don't have to finish it in one day!)

Kindle 7-book cover
 
In the book, Gabaldon takes us step-by-step on how she wrote Jamie and Claire's story. She takes us into character development- How do you bring your characters to life? What about physical descriptions? She shows us the importance of library research for a good historical novel. She also says "While the Internet is a valuable tool for locating people and resources, I can't imagine doing serious historical research using the Web as a primary source. The depth of information and the breadth of detail that one needs just doesn't exist on most Web pages" 
The author gives us actual family trees of a few of her major characters dating back several generations. She postulates her own Gabaldon Theory of Time Travel (The books are after all about a lady who mistakenly travels two hundred years back in time) and She enlightens us about Botanical Medicine and Penicillin, among others.

Outlander-inspired bracelet. Photo credit: Etsy.com
She acknowledges the letters and Outlander-inspired artwork and gifts she receives from fans. Including pictures of children parents named after her characters (I was shocked too)
She finally answers the questions that readers continue to plague her with, and she addresses controversies too(some readers get so involved, that they forget it's YOUR book, and try to dictate what you should or should not write).
She finishes by providing short excerpts of future books in the series, and being the researcher she is (Diana has a Bsc. in Zoology, an M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology), provides an extensive Bibliography and Appendix.

The Outlandish Companion however, while very informative, has a tendency to be boring, as a result of too much detail unnecessarily included in the book. This made me skip several pages, including the summaries of The Outlander books one to four.

On the other hand, if you are interested in the story, and you do not want to read four large books(or PDFs) with pages ranging from 400 pages to 1200 pages, then The Outlandish Companion is the book for you 






Note: The Outlander books have been made into a TV series, and the second season is currently showing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Friend to Pomegranates

It was twenty-nine degrees Celsius  one night in the middle of August. My big fan,  the only reason why I’d been able to avoid buying an AC throughout that unbearably hot summer,   was blasting at its second-to-highest  setting.    I was sprawled  on my bed, watching Trevor Noah videos and ignoring my cramps, as well as my prior plans of going to bed at least a couple of hours before midnight that night. My friend, Grace knocked on the door. “Come in!” I answered. She opened the door slightly, holding a up a small pomegranate. ‘How do you eat this?’ We had gone grocery shopping together the previous weekend, and I'd spotted some pomegranates and picked up a few. ‘You have to try this!’, I'd excitedly told Grace, who had never had pomegranates before. I had only started eating them several months ago myself, and I had found them a more than suitable dietary companion in the cold winter months. I stood up and went to the door. ‘I’ll help you cut it.’ I took the fruit and we walke

Thank You for the Music: My ABBA Story

I must have been about eight years old the first time I heard ABBA. I remember the CD case cover, the black background of the graphic paper behind the plastic, the letters ABBA and Gold written in gold-ish color, so that one ‘B’ was turned the opposite way, resting its spine against the other B’s. I remember two small custom-made bedside wooden chests with single drawers in my parents' room, packed with CDs- ABBA, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Lucky Dube, Bob Marley, Westlife, Backstreet Boys and many others. There were movies too- Titanic, My Best Friend's Wedding, Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Coming to America- some of the best of the eighties and nineties. Growing up, my father had music playing on a loop almost every evening, and certainly every weekend. Most of the tracks were classics, old school funk and RnB, lots of reggae. His room was, a sacred shrine of sorts to music- the lights would be off, but we heard the beats from anywhere in the house- boom ka, boom boom k

The Taste Of Cardamom Chai

Earlier in my adult life, I met a woman in her late thirties or early forties- I’ll call her Stella. I’d been looking for a cheap room for rent, being a post grad student on the tail end of my program, having recently moved out of a relatives home in search of a different living situation. I had found the listing online- the room looked pleasing enough; furnished, clean, well lit. Stella and I got along well on our first meeting. She seemed chill- too chill, like she really didn’t care if I took the place, but I could sense a slight hopefulness beneath it. She told me about the person who used to live there, how they kept on bringing kids over- kids who would just ignore Stella in the hallway. ‘How rude!’ I had exclaimed in agreement. Eventually I moved in. It was my first time living ‘on my own’ since I moved to the country, and although it was January and the temperatures were frigid, I was set afire with the excitement of independence. There were three rooms in the house- one belong