Skip to main content

Movie review: THE DRESSMAKER




by Seun Ajijala



Year of release: 2016

Director: Jocelyn Moorhouse

Producer: Sue Maslin

Screenwriters: Jocelyn Moorhouse and P.J. Hogan

Cast: Kate Winslet, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth, Hugo Weaving

Genre: Comedy, Thriller, Drama

Based on the book “The Dressmaker” by Rosalie Ham

A young woman comes back home after twenty years, to exact revenge on her townsfolk, and confront the ghosts of her past

Rating:  3/5 stars


Tilly Dunnage and her mother, Molly have been outcasts in Dungatar, Australia for as long as they could remember. Due to an incident that happened when Tilly was a child, she was sent away. Twenty years later, she comes back, a seasoned dressmaker, having learned couture from the finest Parisian designers. She brings a refreshing style to the outfits of the town women, but she soon realises, that she would never win their affections. She opts for revenge instead.

Kate Winslet brings the character of Tilly Dunnage to life, portraying her so different from how she was described in the book. However the frequency with which Tilly was seen smoking, was exaggerated. Within the first forty five minutes of the film, she was seen smoking at least four times. Perhaps, the director was trying to pass a feminist message, forgetting that a woman with a cigar has already become a feminist cliché. Sue maslin could have done a better job at casting, as Winslet seems a little too old for the role. The producer should have also considered how Winslet and Hemsworth would look as a couple, which had me cringing several times during the film. Hemsworth did not pull a convincing Ted Mcswinney. Perhaps, he did try, but he wasn't right for the role. Hugo Weaving played Sergeant Farrat well, making him look quite suited for the part
 
Hemsworth on set
The director did a good job of bringing more excitement to the story by creatively altering parts of the original book, for example the opening scene, where Tilly first arrives in Dungatar was directed with skill, considering what Moorhouse had to work with, indeed, it infused more drama and suspense into the film. In parts that were not cut out, the film did an almost excellent job of sticking to dialogue the way it was in the book. The soundtracks and sound effects used in the movie were of good quality, suited and engaging. The mise-en- scene, while appropriately created in terms of geographical outlook (shrubbery et al), at different points gave the impression that there were only five to ten houses in Dungatar. The cinematography was done with some skill and creativity(camera angles)

The themes of feminism and class are predominant throughout the movie. Tilly Dunnage is portrayed as an independent, successful and freethinking spinster, who seems to have a lot of power over the ladies (and some men) of Dungatar. Despite financial handicaps, the women of Dungatar are eager to wear the latest European styles, in order to give themselves a sense of pride and self-esteem, at the detriment of their pockets, and accruing large debts. 
Moorhouse at the Australian Premiere of The Dressmaker

Jocelyn Moorhouse is fond of strong heroines. She had a lot of success with Proof in 1991, but reception of her latter works has been more negative than positive, until The Dressmaker. The Dressmaker is a step in the right direction for Moorhouse, and we’ll be expecting more from her in the future

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing My Friend to Pomegranates

It was twenty-nine degrees Celsius  one night in the middle of August. My big fan,  the only reason why I’d been able to avoid buying an AC throughout that unbearably hot summer,   was blasting at its second-to-highest  setting.    I was sprawled  on my bed, watching Trevor Noah videos and ignoring my cramps, as well as my prior plans of going to bed at least a couple of hours before midnight that night. My friend, Grace knocked on the door. “Come in!” I answered. She opened the door slightly, holding a up a small pomegranate. ‘How do you eat this?’ We had gone grocery shopping together the previous weekend, and I'd spotted some pomegranates and picked up a few. ‘You have to try this!’, I'd excitedly told Grace, who had never had pomegranates before. I had only started eating them several months ago myself, and I had found them a more than suitable dietary companion in the cold winter months. I stood up and went to the door. ‘I’ll help you cut it.’ I took the fruit and we walke

Thank You for the Music: My ABBA Story

I must have been about eight years old the first time I heard ABBA. I remember the CD case cover, the black background of the graphic paper behind the plastic, the letters ABBA and Gold written in gold-ish color, so that one ‘B’ was turned the opposite way, resting its spine against the other B’s. I remember two small custom-made bedside wooden chests with single drawers in my parents' room, packed with CDs- ABBA, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Lucky Dube, Bob Marley, Westlife, Backstreet Boys and many others. There were movies too- Titanic, My Best Friend's Wedding, Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Coming to America- some of the best of the eighties and nineties. Growing up, my father had music playing on a loop almost every evening, and certainly every weekend. Most of the tracks were classics, old school funk and RnB, lots of reggae. His room was, a sacred shrine of sorts to music- the lights would be off, but we heard the beats from anywhere in the house- boom ka, boom boom k

The Taste Of Cardamom Chai

Earlier in my adult life, I met a woman in her late thirties or early forties- I’ll call her Stella. I’d been looking for a cheap room for rent, being a post grad student on the tail end of my program, having recently moved out of a relatives home in search of a different living situation. I had found the listing online- the room looked pleasing enough; furnished, clean, well lit. Stella and I got along well on our first meeting. She seemed chill- too chill, like she really didn’t care if I took the place, but I could sense a slight hopefulness beneath it. She told me about the person who used to live there, how they kept on bringing kids over- kids who would just ignore Stella in the hallway. ‘How rude!’ I had exclaimed in agreement. Eventually I moved in. It was my first time living ‘on my own’ since I moved to the country, and although it was January and the temperatures were frigid, I was set afire with the excitement of independence. There were three rooms in the house- one belong